• An infection caused by a parasite called Entamoeba histolytica. This parasite causes gastrointestinal illness in people. People can get sick after drinking contaminated water or eating food that was washed in contaminated water.


  •  Most cases of Amebiasis do not have any symptoms
  • Some people can have diarrhea (sometimes bloody and containing mucous); alternating with constipation
  • Cramping, abdominal pain, weight loss and fever may be present

Symptoms can come and go, lasting for up to 30 days in people who are otherwise healthy. People with a weakened immune system have a higher risk of long term illness and sometimes death.

How do you get it?

  • After swallowing the parasite people can get sick within a few days to several months or years; usually 2-4 weeks
  • Some people may not have symptoms at all but they can spread the parasite to others

How is it spread?

  •  Entamoeba histolytica is a human parasite and is spread to others from the intestinal tract of sick people and from people who carry the parasite but have no symptoms
  • People can have the parasite in their stool for months or years. People with
    long-term diarrhea should see their doctor


  • Boil drinking water if the water source is not protected from surface runoff

  • Wash fruits and vegetables before eating

  • Cook meats thoroughly above 74 degrees Celsius (whole poultry 82 degrees Celsius)

  • Wash hands often when working with food (especially after using the washroom)

Cases of Amebiasis must be reported to your local Medical Officer of Health under the Health Protection and Promotion Act.