Update Student Immunizations to Avoid Suspension in April

Published on: February 1, 2016

Brantford, ON – Some parents in Brantford and Brant County with a child born in 1998, 1999, 2007, and/or 2008 may get a letter from the Brant County Health Unit in the coming days. If a child born in one of these years has an immunization record that is not up-to-date, the student may be suspended from school starting April 28.

“Most students who receive our notice have all the required, publicly-funded vaccines,” believes Ruth Gratton, Manager, Infectious Diseases at the Health Unit. “However, their parents may not have provided the Health Unit with a complete record of these immunizations yet. We want to remind parents that it’s their responsibility to report student immunizations to the Health Unit.”

To avoid suspension, parents should update their child’s records with the Health Unit as soon as possible. There are several easy ways to do so:

  • Online at www.bchu.org/emunization              
  • Phone: 519-753-4937 ext. 451 (leave a voice message with the details requested)
  • Fax: 519-753-2140 (include child’s name, date of birth and telephone number)
  • Mail/In person: 194 Terrace Hill St., Brantford, ON N3R 1G7
  • Drop box: Located outside east entrance door (Terrace Hill St. and McMurray St.)

Students missing required vaccines should contact their doctor to be immunized. The Health Unit will also be holding clinics, with appointments available during March Break, PA days, and after school. “We want to make it as easy as possible for students to get caught up with their immunizations,” says Gratton. Clinics will also be held at local high schools for high school students to get missing immunizations.

If parents do not want their child immunized because of a conscientious or religious belief, they must submit an exemption form to the Health Unit. Gratton cautions, “Choosing not to immunize your child puts them at risk of getting certain diseases,” and may have other consequences for students. If a child cannot be immunized for health reasons, parents can have their doctor complete a medical exemption for the student.

For more information please visit www.bchu.org/suspension or call 519-753-4937 ext. 451 (all phone calls will be returned by a nurse as soon as possible).